How to Feel Safe in a Crazy World – Or How To Develop Inner Peace
There is so much happening in the world right now that seems just plain crazy: terrorist attacks, military coups, random shootings in schools and malls, and sniper attacks on police. I just heard about a guy who attacked passengers on a train in Germany with an axe!! So, with all that craziness happening – what will you do to feel safe? Which trips will you cancel? Or, will you go on that trip anyway and find a way to take care of yourself and your family?
An important component of the functional medicine I practice is using a holistic approach to treatment; treating the whole person rather than symptoms. This includes the mind and heart, the ways you think and feel about yourself and the world around you.
When you perceive that the world is going crazy, that you may not be safe even at home or at work, it’s quite natural to respond with anxiety and stress. However, as we know, stress and anxiety are killers; they must be overcome if you hope to lead a healthy, happy life. Prescription meds are not the answer.
The only way to really feel safe is to learn how to tune into your own inner wisdom.
How do you do that? Tune into Intuition and Faith:
- Intuition – We all have inner wisdom, intuition, etc. Many years ago, when I was 12 or 13, I was headed out to go someplace with my younger sister and step dad. My mom did not want us to go! I remember she got quite upset and was actually crying, telling us not to go. So, my step dad went by himself. He had an accident! Although it was a minor accident, it would have probably hurt my sister and me more than it did him. So her fear, her intuition, stopped us from getting hurt.
- Faith – When you have a connection to your higher power, whatever you want to call that, then you will see all events as occurring in the way they were intended. This connection to the divine, or higher power, will allow you to have more trust in whatever situation you find yourself in. Faith in a higher power can be a great stress reducer.
If you feel like you couldn’t possibly connect to your own inner wisdom, one of the first ways to begin that process is to work on your physical health. One of my specialties is helping my clients get physically balanced so that they can feel well emotionally and spiritually. It’s all connected, and it’s amazing how much better you can feel when your body is balanced. Here are some suggestions for tuning in and building your inner peace.
- Reduce the noise in your body, which may mean: cleaning up your diet, finding balancing exercises, getting treatments that allow you to relax (such as acupuncture).
- Spend at least a few minutes every day quietly being alone; either meditating, or tuning in to your inner voice.
- Learn to access your intuition by asking yourself questions. Pay attention to the answers. Usually, the answer comes quickly, and is quiet, so you may not hear it if you don’t listen closely.
- Remember the times in your life when you had a faith in the events that were happening around you; try to tune into that sensation again, and reinforce its influence on you.
Of course, if you have other ideas, I would love to have you share them in the comments section, below.
Are you curious about functional medicine and holistic wellness and healing? If so, get in touch with Dr. Shiroko today.