Supplements For Flu Prevention and Treatment
Supplements for Flu Prevention and Healing When you Got it.
A few years ago I wrote a blog about how to use supplements to prevent, or heal from the flu if you get it.
Lately a lot of people have asked me about it so I thought I’d rewrite it with the new knowledge I’ve gained in the last few years.
In Chinese medicine, it’s really important to treat your immune system with respect and to give yourself the right care. There are herbs for every stage of illness. Making sure you get the right ones and heal properly can help you prevent long-term complications down the road.
There’s a huge book called the Shang Han Lun – Treatise on Colds and Fever – written over 2500 years ago – about how to treat colds and fever. So you know this blog isn’t going to do it justice in just a few hundred words. But it will get you started in taking proper care of yourself if you begin to get sick.
There are 3 stages of treatment. The first is prevention – before you get sick. The second is as you first begin to have symptoms, the third is after you’re already ill and the fourth is recovery.
Stage 1 – Prevention
- Vitamin D 2-5000IU per day , measure levels
- Vitamin C 500mg-3000mg per day
- Omega Fatty acids 1500mg per day
- A good multi
- Host Defense – organic medicinal mushrooms for immune protection
Stage 2 – Early stages
- If you have sore throat – gargle with diluted hydrogen peroxide – 3 times in one hour. Do that just when it starts. You can prevent getting sick if you do it in time. Dilute normal H2O2 with equal amounts water, gargle and hold in back of throat for a minute at a time. Repeat in 20 minutes.
- Take an herbal formula such as Wellness formula or Echinacea – or Yin Qiao – 3 capsules – take it every 2-3 hours until you have stopped the flu from coming.
- Increase Vitamin C to 3-5000 mg – it can help you get better faster
- Increase Vitamin D to 20000 IU in one day – also speed recovery
- Rest and drink enough water
- Stay away from any sugar, dairy, or gluten – increases mucous and weakens immune system.
- You can do nasal washes with a neti pot – 1 t sea salt in a cup warm water
- Steam inhalation – boil a big pot of water – put some aromatherapy such as eucalyptus or thieves in the water (just one or two drops) Cover your head with a towel over the pot and inhale the steam for 10-15 minutes. Helps clear sinuses
Stage 3 – You’re sick now, Keep taking care of yourself.
- Depending on your symptoms – you need specific herbs to help you heal the right way.
- Try to avoid using things like decongestants and cough suppressants because they will prolong the illness
- Avoid dairy, grains, drink lots of fluids
- If you have to take medications, take them at night when you need the sleep.
Stage 4 – Recovery
- If you have a lingering dry cough, there are Chinese herbs for healing your lungs from that – One formula is called wise judge –
- If you are left with low energy – see your local acupuncturist for help recovering.
- You can take herbs such as Astragalus for healing your energy after an illness
- Lower your dose of Vitamin D and C back to normal
- Continue with Host Defense – it will help you continue the recovery process.
Remember to only buy high quality clean supplements that will not add to the problems.