Mercury and health

 In Uncategorized

 

Mary loved tuna sandwiches for lunch and ate one daily. Over a period of two years she began to feel ill. She ached all the time, felt tired, couldn’t lose weight, had headaches, and when she got a cold she took weeks to recover from it.

 Many doctors evaluated her. She was tested for infections, menopause, arthritis, and cancer. Nobody has found anything wrong with her. Her family physician recommended Prozac because she was depressed. No one considered mercury toxicity as a possible cause of her symptoms.

 Mercury is toxic to the human nervous system. It is linked to learning and behavioral problems in children. In adults, mercury can cause: tremors, memory loss, body pains, headaches, delayed recovery from infections, and heart disease. One can develop mercury toxicity from fish, dental fillings, or direct environmental exposure.

 We are told that fish is healthy to eat. It prevents heart disease, lowers cholesterol, and improves hormonal functions. The FDA recommends that people eat twelve ounces of fish per week, while warning that women of childbearing age and children should avoid swordfish, shark, king mackerel and tilefish. They recommend no more than one serving of tuna per week. Fish that are considered safe or low in mercury are: wild caught salmon, sole, tilapia, sardines, and small shellfish.

 In 2002, Dr. Jane Hightower, at Pacific Medical Center conducted a study of 123 of her affluent patients who ate a lot of fish. Eighty nine percent of the patients she tested had mercury levels exceeding the five parts per billion that is recognized as safe by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). When they stopped eating fish, their levels went down.

 There is a lot of controversy about whether mercury fillings are a cause of toxicity in people. The American Dental Association claims that they are perfectly safe. Dentists are required to install special filtration systems in their offices to keep the mercury waste out of the water system. How can it be okay in our heads if it isn’t okay in the water?

 There are several ways to test if you have mercury toxicity. You can have a hair analysis,  blood test, or urine test. The urine test is considered most accurate.Vitamin C, Glutathione, high quality chlorophyll, a sulphur-containing product called DMSA, and an intravenous chelating agent called DMPS effectively remove mercury from the tissues.

 Mary’s mercury levels were extremely high. After cutting out fish and taking supplements for six months she began to feel better. She never ended up on Prozac. Tuna is no longer Mary’s favorite food.

 

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

START HEALING TODAY!

Instantly download
Dr. Shiroko’s popular eBook,

The Hero’s Journey

…an excerpt from her book
Healing When It Seems Impossible: 7 Keys to Defy the Odds when you fill out the form below: