As the holidays approach, we think of all the gifts that we want to get for others. Shopping, running around, thinking what might be special for that loved one, it’s often stressful trying to find just the right thing. You could easily feel overwhelmed. Sometimes you might begin to feel that you’re giving too much to others, and don’t have anything left for yourself. Especially during this time of year, you can feel an emptiness or possibly a sense of meaninglessness.
As humans, we are designed to love, to be kind and to be generous with one another. If you’re feeling stressed in your own life one of the best things you can do is to be generous to someone else. It may sound counterintuitive when you’re already feeling like you’re stretched to the max, but stepping outside yourself and your own problems can have a great effect on your mental health. One of my good friends is going through a lot of stress right now, her husband is very ill, and she is trying to save his life. She took the time to do something nice for her friends in the midst of all that, and it helped her feel better.
6 Helpful Tips
There are so many small ways that you can make others feel good. One simple way is the next time you’re in line for food or coffee – pay for the person’s order that’s behind you.
Here are a few other ways to make someone else feel good at any time of year:
- One of my favorites is to leave a little card with a heart at the table in a restaurant that says “have a beautiful day”.
- One of my friends bought a bunch of smiley face buttons and gives them to random strangers. It doesn’t cost much and it makes them very happy.
- Another way is when you’re on the street and see someone begging for money, give them something. It could be some spare change, something to eat, or even a kind word.
- If you’re in a service industry, you can even give your clients or patients a discount or a small gift to show your appreciation.
- Try giving your significant other a foot massage or fixing them a special dinner. Even something as simple as writing an unexpected love note can lift their spirits.
- You can even do something as simple as lending an ear to a friend if they’re in need.
If you’re stressed, have a feeling of being constricted or overwhelmed, then do something nice for someone else and you’ll be surprised at how good you feel. The selfless energy you put forth will be reciprocated because energy is cyclical. The positivity you exude will come back to you.
Remember to like my page on Facebook, Heart To Heart Medical Center. Also, ask to join my Facebook group Heroic Healing. My new book HEALING WHEN IT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE: 7 KEYS TO DEFY THE ODDS is available NOW on Amazon.