When I was a little girl, I watched how my mother took care of her skin. She put lotion on every day, and kept herself out of the sun. She never looked her age. So I had a healthy foundation for taking care of my own skin (although I was a sun lover and got out there as much as I could)!
Healthy skin isn’t just about what you put on your skin, it’s an inside job. Many of my patients are surprised and delighted when, as their health improves, their skin takes on a healthy glow. Caring for your skin is important each season, but even more so in summer, as we tend to spend more time outdoors. Find out how to keep your skin healthy, glowing, and protected from the elements!
The Secrets to a Natural Glow
Beautiful skin starts within. In order to achieve the outward radiance that makes us look youthful, we must start by caring for our internal health.
1. Stay Hydrated
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) places special importance on staying hydrated at all times. Drinking plenty of fresh, pure water each day helps every single cell in our bodies. Our bodies are over 50% water, and we are constantly using water for every bodily function. Build hydration into your schedule, so that you’re drinking before you’re thirsty, especially in summer when we expel more water through sweat.
2. Stay Protected
Fresh air and exercise are essential for health. We rely on the sun’s rays to make essential Vitamin D. However, too much time spent in the summer sun can cause damage to the skin. Protect yourself by being mindful of time spent in the sun. Take advantage of the shade when available, and arm yourself with a quality sunscreen. Be sure to choose one that is free of harmful chemicals, or make your own at home, and reapply frequently.
3. Stay In-Season
Diet plays a tremendous role on the health of our skin. When we eat fresh, seasonal fruit and vegetables, we consume them at the peak of their nourishment and flavor. Our bodies feel better, function better, and look more radiant. Add these summer fruits and vegetables to your favorite recipes:
- Bell Peppers
4. Stay Supplement Smart
- Vitamin C – heals connective tissues, tightens skin
- Vitamin D – keeps skin healthy, and protects from sun
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – moisturizes skin
- Trace Minerals – nourishes sub structure
- Beta Carotene – natural sun protection
5. Stay Covered with High-Quality Skin Care Products
- Make sure that there are no toxic chemicals in your skin care products
- Don’t over do the makeup – it can clog your skin
- Don’t use makeup that has heavy metals such as lead in it.
- Check the Environmental Working Group site for healthy sun screens