Is anxiety a part of your daily life? While this emotional response is expected after significant life changes or trauma, many of us struggle with it regularly. Our modern lives tend to create anxiety as feelings of stress, panic, and fear cumulate throughout the day. This can cause inadequate sleep at night, high blood pressure, inflammation, and a host of other problems. Fortunately, there is a way to quiet the mind and release the grip of anxiety on our lives.
Signs of An Anxious Life
The following symptoms are all part of the anxious response:
- Increased heart rate
- Nervous feelings
- Rapid breathing
- Difficulty sleeping
- Digestive distress
- Feelings of panic or despair
- Feeling tired
- Difficulty focusing on anything but the current worry
An Anxious World
It can be easy to get caught up in the negativity all around us. It takes a conscious decision to choose positive, loving thoughts instead of reacting with worry or fear. Like any habit, this takes effort and practice! Take the time to cultivate relationships with positive people. Set aside time each day to meditate. This simple act of quieting the mind can help disarm an anxious response. You’ll feel more calm, centered, and better able to react to challenging situations.
Your Calming Support Strategy
Next time you feel overcome by anxiety, try one (or more) of these methods to quiet your mind and get your thoughts back on track:
- Take ten deep breaths. Inhale slowly, and exhale completely. Focus on your breath, on the expansion of your body as you breathe. As you exhale, imagine the anxiety leaving your body with each breath.
- Sniff fresh lavender, or use lavender essential oil. Diffuse a few drops, or simply massage into your wrists and breathe deeply to promote feelings of calm and relaxation.
- Sip chamomile tea. Chamomile is full of immune-supporting antioxidants and can help your body relax.
- Pay attention to where anxiety is affecting your body. Is your heart racing? Are your hands shaking? Close your eyes and send loving, calming thoughts to these areas. Visualize your energy returning to normal.
- Focus on your faith. Connect with your inner guides, God, or spirituality. Ask for guidance and clarity in the moment.
While our lives are full of stresses and worries, your response to situations is ultimately up to you. Anytime a negative feeling overcomes you, practicing the techniques above for more ease and calm in your life. You’ll notice over time that your natural reaction shifts to one of acceptance and release.